Overview of B.A. in ELE
The degree program B.A. in ELE is the oldest degree program offered by the Department of English, Faculty of Letters, Universitas Negeri Malang. It is in fact the impetus of the establishment of the University itself. Founded in 1954, the study program has grown into a highly respected institution producing quality English teachers. Through its graduates and faculty members, the study program has significantly contributed to the development of the teaching of English as a foreign or second language in Indonesia and Southeast Asia.
The study program is anchored in the progressive Department of English, which itself has withstood various transformations in curriculum and identity, proving its adaptability and resilience. It currently offers four degree programs, including the B.A. in English Language Education, B.A. in English Language and Literature, UM, M.A. in English Language Education, and Ph.D. in English Language Education.
The 2020 curriculum of B.A. in ELE elaborated in this handbook is based on the Kerangka Kualifikasi Nasional Indonesia (Indonesia National Qualification Framework) of 2012, the Rencana Strategis/RENSTRA (Strategic Plan) of the University, Faculty and the Program for 2019 2023, and the current national policy of Merdeka Belajar Kampus Merdeka (Freedom to Learn Independent Campus) launched in early 2020 by the Ministry of Education and Culture. Under this policy, students are able to be more actively involved in structuring their own study experience.
Based on the Decree of the National Accreditation Agency for Higher Education, No. 2288/SK/BAN PT/Ak-PPJ/S/IV/2020, B.A. in ELE has been accredited A (effective until April 2025). It has also received recognition from the ASEAN University Network Quality Assurance (AUN QA) in 2019, No. AP421UMMAY19, effective until 2024.
It is the vision of the B.A. in ELE that it becomes an ICT and research-based study program responsive and adaptive to global advancements in the fields of education and English language education (ELE) by the year 2030.
In line with the aforementioned vision and the threefold missions of higher education (Tri Dharma Perguruan Tinggi), the Sarjana (B.A.) Program in ELE has the following goals in the areas of education, research, community services and inter-institution partnership.
- Provide effective student-centered and ICT-based higher education in the field of ELE;
- Promote research in the field of ELE for the development of knowledge and the welfare of the community;
- Conduct community services in the field of ELE toward the empowerment of the community;
- Establish reputable management, accountability, and image nationally and internationally.
The vision and missions of the Sarjana (B.A.) Program in ELE are detailed in the following objectives.
- Produce intelligent, virtuous, and independent professionals in the field of ELE;
- Produce outstanding scientific and creative works in the field of ELE;
- Facilitate community services in the field of ELE to promote an independent, productive, and prosperous community;
- Ensure the effective, efficient, and accountable implementation of education, research, and community services.
Intended Learning Outcomes
In reference to the Indonesian Qualification Framework (IQF) 2012, the curriculum of B.A. in ELE program is oriented to preparing prospective English teachers for formal and non formal institutions. Graduates of the program who become English teachers at formal schools are eligible to enroll in the one year certification program for English teachers in order to get certified and receive professional incentives.
In addition, although the curriculum is oriented toward preparing prospective teachers, the knowledge and skills developed throughout the program also enable the graduates to embrace non teaching professions, such as, translators, entrepreneurs, company staff, journalists, and many others.
Intended Learning Outcomes
By the end of their study, the graduates of B.A. in ELE have the following knowledge and skills:
- Subject Matter Knowledge and Skills
- Analyze and evaluate ideas in various types of spoken and written English texts.
- Communicate ideas effectively and appropriately in spoken and written forms both in formal and informal situations.
- Apply the knowledge of the basic concepts of linguistics and literature in the teaching of English.
- Pedagogical Knowledge and Skills
- Select and adapt instructional materials and media appropriate and relevant to the learners’ characteristics (physical, psychological, moral, spiritual, and socio cultural background) in various teaching contexts.
- Apply the principled learning strategies and classroom management by considering learner factors.
- Develop and apply principled assessment procedures.
- Use Information and Communication Technology effectively and creatively in designing and implementing lesson plans.
- Identify problems in ELE and provide solutions through reflective practice and research.
- Intrapersonal and Interpersonal Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrate attitudes reflecting inclusivism, objectivity, and non discriminating practices.
- Realize the principles of work ethics covering discipline, responsibility, self esteem and self-confidence, and teamwork.
- Demonstrate creative thinking and innovation in social and academic lives.
- Demonstrate independent and continuous learning habits to develop knowledge and skills in ELE responsive to global advancement.
Registration procedure, schedule, and selection system of new students for study program Sarjana (B.A.) in English Language Education is conducted through selection system held by Universitas Negeri Malang.
For more information, contact us in: