Overview of B.A. in ELL
The B.A in ELL study program was established in 1997 under the Department of English, Faculty of Letters, UM. The establishment of the program was an implementation of the broader mandate granted to the then Malang Institute for Teacher Training and Education (IKIP Malang), now UM, to transform into a comprehensive university, offering non-teaching study programs, in addition to the robust teaching study programs already existing. The transformation of the university was mandated in the Presidential Regulation no.93, dated August 4, 1999, on “the Conversion of Institutes for Teacher Training and Education into Universities”.
Founded in 1954, the study program is anchored in the progressive Department of English, which itself has withstood various transformations in curriculum and identity, proving its adaptability and resilience. It currently offers four degree-programs, including the B.A. in English Language Education, UM, B.A. in English Language and Literature, M.A. in English Language Education, and Ph.D. in English Language Education. The B.A. in ELL elaborated in this course handbook has been offered since 1997, as part of the implementation of the wider mandate of teaching university transformation.
The 2020 curriculum of B.A. in ELL is based on the Kerangka Kualifikasi Nasional Indonesia (Indonesia National Qualification Framework) of 2012 and the Rencana Strategis/RENSTRA (Strategic Plan) of the University, Faculty and the Program for 2019-2023, and the current national policy of Merdeka Belajar – Kampus Merdeka (MBKM) launched in early 2020 by the Ministry of Education and Culture. Under this policy, students are able to be more actively involved in structuring their own study experience.
Based on the Decree of the National Accreditation Council, No. 5061/SK- BAN-PT/Akred/S/XII/2017 dated December 2017, B.A. in ELL has been accredited A (effective until December 2022).
To become an ICT (Information Communication Technology) and research-based study program which is anticipative of global developments in English language and literature by the year of 2030.
- To conduct an ICT-based and effective student-centered higher education courses in the field of English language and literature,
- To facilitate research in English language and literature, the findings of which will contribute to the development of science and community welfare,
- To carry out community services in the area of English language and literature for the purpose of community empowerment.
- To produce graduates who possess academic and moral integrity in the field of English language and literature,
- To empower academics who produce reputable, creative, and scientific works in the field of English language and literature,
- To institute academically-based community services in the field of English language and literature in order to promote civil society.
Intended Learning Outcomes
- Proficient users having good command of English language for effective spoken and written communication in academic and non-academic contexts as indicated by proficiency scores at minimum ITP TOEFL score 525/iBT TOEFL 69-70/IELTS 5.5;
- Prospective academics and/or professionals capable of conducting research in the field of English Language and Literature; translating and interpreting English texts into Bahasa Indonesia texts and/or vice versa; employing higher analytical skills as language consultants in order to provide feedback for work-place documents; and producing a variety of writing genres publishable in a variety of media.
Intended Learning Outcomes
The learning outcomes intended to be achieved by graduates of B.A. in ELL are categorized as follows.
- Foundational knowledge and skills
- Analyze and evaluate information and ideas in various types of spoken and written English texts for informed decisions and other relevant undertakings.
- Communicate ideas effectively and appropriately in spoken and written forms in formal and informal situations.
- Demonstrate a mastery of theoretical concepts of English language, linguistics and literature.
- Academic and Professional Knowledge and Skills
- Locate selectively disciplined-specific sources for research purposes in language/linguistics and literary studies.
- Create principled and diverse research and/or original texts in varied genres and formats, using various technologies and/or multimodal formats by observing academic ethics – avoiding plagiarism, falsification, and fabrication.
- Apply linguistic theories in analyzing language phenomena accurately.
- Apply literary theories in literary criticism accurately.
- Adapt drama and/or any literary text into a creative performance or content or product.
- Produce acceptable translation of spoken and/or written texts of various genres from English into Bahasa Indonesia and vice versa.
- Interpersonal and Intrapersonal Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrate autonomous and continuous learning in order to gain and enhance knowledge of language and literary studies applicable to professional works, community services, and responsive to global advancement.
- Demonstrate attitudes reflecting humanism, tolerance, as well as good morality and behavior.
- Realize the principles of work ethics which include discipline, responsibility, self-esteem, selfconfidence, and teamwork.
- Show effective communicative competence in social interpersonal as well as academic contexts, creative-critical thinking and innovation in social and academic lives.
Registration procedure, schedule, and selection system of new students for study program Sarjana (B.A.) in English Language and Literature is conducted through selection system held by Universitas Negeri Malang.
For more information, contact us in: