Overview of M.A. in ELE
The Master’s Program in English Language Education (ELE) has been contributing to the development of English Language Education and scholarship in Indonesia for some forty years. In this sense, it has been contributing to the development of ELE globally through both activities such as seminar and other academic and professional forums.
Along the dynamics in the Department which was established in 1954, the Master’s program has undergone several changes, both in terms of the curriculum and its identity. In 1968, the Institute for Teacher Training and Education, Malang (at present Universitas Negeri Malang) initiated higher education for Doktorandus to obtain a doctoral degree through the Doctoral Program (Strata 3 or Ph.D.). The establishment of a graduate program in the form of the Doctoral Program was based on the regulation of the Minister of Higher Education and Science no. 19, dated July 20, 1962.
In 1980, the graduate program was split into Doctoral Degree (S3 or Ph.D.) Programs and Master’s Degree (S2 or M.A.) Programs. Accordingly, Universitas Negeri Malang started to offer Master’s Degree Programs in Education (1980), pursuant to the Presidential Decree of the Republic of Indonesia No.60/1982, dated September 7, 1982 and the Doctoral Study Programs were officially converted to the Master’s and Doctoral Programs (PDP). One year later, with the Decree of the Ministry of Education and Culture No. 0146/0/1983, dated March 5, 1983, the PDP was changed to the Graduate Faculty. Subsequently, with the Government Regulation N0. 30, 1990, the Graduate Faculty was further restructured from Faculty to Program, with the new name of Graduate Program.
Taking into account recent trends and policies, the curriculum of Master’s in ELE is developed in view of the capability of the graduates in the gamut of ELE and the research capability within the discipline and the ensuing ability to disseminate and communicate their capability to the relevant discourse community and community in general.
Based on the Decree of the National Accreditation Agency for Higher Education (BAN-PT), No.3928/SK/BAN-PT/Akred/M/X/2019, the Master’s Degree program in English Language Education has been accredited A (effective until October 16, 2024).
The Master’s Program in English Language Education (ELE) becomes an excellent program providing knowledge-based English Language Education at the Master’s level which supports the attainment of high stature of Universitas Negeri Malang in 2030.
The Master’s Program in ELE upholds and translates, in view of local, national, and international collaborative works, the Threefold Missions of Higher Education (Tri Dharma Perguruan Tinggi) encompassing education, research and community services by:
- Carrying out quality student-centered Master’s education in the field of ELE,
- Conducting research to strengthen the knowledge and profession of ELE, and
- Providing services in the field of ELE for the empowerment of the community.
Formulated on the basis of the missions, the objectives of the Master’s program in ELE are as follows:
- Enhancement of students’ knowledge and professional skills related to ELE,
- Quality thesis research contributing to the academic and professional development of ELE, and
- Dissemination of ideas and research findings in ELE.
Intended Learning Outcomes
The graduates of the Master’s Program in ELE are as practitioners in English language in (non)formal education at the primary, secondary, or tertiary (undergraduate) level who are capable of doing research and innovatively developing syllabi, materials, and assessments.
Intended Learning Outcomes
Pursuant to the Indonesian Qualification Framework (Kerangka Kurikulum Nasional Indonesia) and verse 5 of Permendikbud No. 3, 2020, three points of Learning Outcomes of the Master’s Program in English Language Education are formulated as follows:
- Mastery of the theories of ELE
- Cultivating ideas and thoughts in the realm of ELE,
- Seeking for relevant references in the area of ELE,
- Discussing ideas and thoughts in ELE appropriately in spoken and written forms,
- Applying knowledge and skills of ELE to address ELE-related issues.
- Capability to carry out quality research in the gamut of ELE in the view of national publishability and contributions to the society,
- Finding academic and professional sources for self-development relevant to ELE,
- Critically reviewing academic and professional sources for research and pedagogical activities in ELE,
- Self-evaluating research and pedagogical activities in ELE in reference to scientific ethics for continuous improvements.
- Capability to communicate thoughts and research results to the wider community both through academic fora (oral and written) and community services.
- Upholding the principles of work ethics encompassing discipline, responsibility, self-confidence, and teamwork,
- Demonstrating continued enthusiasm in developing knowledge in ELE,
- In view of scientific ethics, continually disseminating ideas and thoughts in ELE in various fora both oral and written.
Registration procedure, schedule, and selection system of new students for study program Magister (M.A.) in English Language Education is conducted through selection system held by Universitas Negeri Malang.
For more information, contact us in: