Overview of Ph.D. in ELE
The Doctorate Program in English Language Education (ELE) has been contributing to the development of English Language Education and scholarship in Indonesia for over forty years. In such a way, it has been contributing to the development of ELE globally through both activities such as seminar and other academic and professional fora.
The Department of English was founded in 1954 as the Department of English Language and Literature. Since then, it has undergone several changes, both in terms of the curriculum and its identity. In 1968, the Institute for Teacher Training and Education, Malang (at present Universitas Negeri Malang) initiated higher education for Doktorandus to obtain a doctoral degree through the Doctoral Program (Strata 3 or Ph.D.). The establishment of the Doctoral Program was based on the regulation of the Minister of Higher Education and Science no. 19, dated July 20, 1962.
In 1980, the graduate program was split into Doctoral Degree (S3 or Ph.D.) Programs and Master’s Degree (S2 or M.A.) Programs. Accordingly, Universitas Negeri Malang started to offer Master’s Degree Programs in Education (1980), pursuant to the Presidential Decree of the Republic of Indonesia No.60/1982, dated September 7, 1982 and the Doctoral Study Programs were officially converted to the Master’s and Doctoral Programs (PDP). One year later, with the Decree of the Ministry of Education and Culture No. 0146/0/1983, dated March 5, 1983, the PDP was changed to the Graduate Faculty. Subsequently, with the Government Regulation N0. 30, 1990, the Graduate Faculty was further restructured from Faculty to Program, with the new name of Graduate Program.
The Program has been home to reputed tenured faculty members with a wide range of contributions through a number of roles they play at the local, national, and international arenas. Some of the faculty members and graduates have made their contributions through their appointments at the SEAMEO RELC and universities in Japan and Australia. Some others have been external reviewers and examiners for promotion to professorship and examiners of PhD thesis across Australia and Asia.
Taking into account recent trends and policies, the curriculum of Ph.D. in ELE is developed in view of the capability of the graduates in the gamut of ELE and the research capability within the discipline and the ensuing ability to disseminate and communicate their capability to the relevant discourse community and community in general.
Based on the decree of the National Accreditation Agency for Higher Education No.3317/SK/BAN-PT/Ak-PPJ/D/VI/2020, the Doctoral Degree Program in English Language Education has been accredited A (effective until May 31, 2025).
The Doctorate (Ph.D.) Program in English Language Education (ELE) provides innovative research-oriented education in view of global developments and future situations in ELE to support excellent stature of Universitas Negeri Malang in 2030.
The Doctorate Program in ELE is responsible for enhancing, with the spirit of local, national, and international collaborations, the Threefold Missions of Higher Education (Tri Dharma Perguruan Tinggi) encompassing education, research, and community services by:
- carrying out effective student-centered doctoral education in the field of ELE,
- promoting research in the field of ELE for the development of knowledge and profession, and
- conducting community services in the field of ELE for the empowerment of the community.
The objectives of the Doctorate Program in ELE are formulated on the basis of the missions of the program as follows:
- students’ autonomy in developing their knowledge and professional skills related to ELE,
- quality students’ dissertation research contributing to the development of ELE theories and professional practices, and
- dissemination of current thoughts and research findings in ELE through academic fora and community services.
Intended Learning Outcomes
The graduates of the Doctorate (Ph.D.) Program in ELE are experts creative and innovative to develop theories, concepts, principles, and/or models of ELE at all levels of education—primary, secondary, and tertiary—and in non-formal education institutions through research that contributes to the development of ELE in Indonesia attributable to the development of ELE around the globe.
Intended Learning Outcomes
Pursuant to the Indonesian Qualification Framework (KKNI) and verse 5 of Permendikbud No 3, 2020, three points of Learning Outcomes of the Doctorate (Ph.D.) Program in English Language Teaching are formulated as follows:
- Mastery of the philosophical bases and theories of ELE
- Critically nurturing ideas and thoughts through research and community services in the realm of ELE,
- Eloquently communicating ideas and thoughts in ELE in spoken and written forms through research, community services, and academic fora, and
- Creatively applying academic and professional knowledge of ELE to solve ELE-related problems
- Capability to rigorously carry out innovative research in the gamut of ELE in view of international publishability and contributions to the society
- Appropriately selecting research sources relevant to ELE,
- Critically reviewing research sources for innovative research in ELE,
- Applying rigorous research procedures resulting in quality research in ELE, and
- Critically self-evaluating research for significant research results in ELE.
- Capability to communicate nurtured thoughts and research results to the wider community both through academic fora (oral and written) and community services
- Embracing the principles of scientific and work ethics encompassing independence, discipline, responsibility, self-confidence, and teamwork,
- Demonstrating continuous learning habits to develop knowledge in ELE responsive to global advancements, and
- Enthusiastically disseminating research results in ELE through various fora both oral and written.
Registration procedure, schedule, and selection system of new students for study program Doktor (Ph.D.) in English Language Education is conducted through selection system held by Universitas Negeri Malang.
For more information, contact us in: