The curriculum of the Magister Program in English Language Teaching (ELT) has been revised and reconstructed in accordance with the new policy of Kerangka Kualifikasi Nasional Indonesia (Indonesia National Qualification Framework) 2012. The description of the curriculum starts with the Vision, Missions, and Objectives of the Magister Program, followed by the graduate profile, then target competencies. The curriculum structure is presented to show the distribution of the courses in the program.
Based on the Decree of the National Accreditation Council, no.373/SK/BAN-PT/Akred/M/IX/2014, the Master’s Degree program in English Language Teaching has been accredited B (effective until September 19, 2019).
The Magister Program (S2) in English Language Teaching (ELT) becomes a center of excellence of Higher Education providing outstanding ICT-based ELT education which is anticipative of the global development in ELT.
Based on its Vision in line with the Strategic Plan (RENSTRA) of the Post Graduate Program 2015-2019 and of the Faculty of Letters 2015-2019, the Magister Program in ELT is responsible for implementing its threefold mission of higher education (Tri Dhrama Perguruan Tinggi) to conduct education, research, and community services. It also seeks further cooperation with other institutions to support the mission of and scientific advancements in ELT.
- Improve the equality of access to ELT education within society through the production of qualified ELT experts, practitioners and educators
- Improve the quality, relevance, and competitiveness of the ELT education program in response to global needs
Increase the quality, relevance, and competitiveness of ELT research in response to current issues in ELT-related development and research.
- Increase the quality and relevance of community services in disseminating current policies and solving ELT-related problems.
- Develop the competitiveness of ELT-related services in response to current ELT development, issues, and research.
Cooperation with Other Institutions
- Build a clean and reputable organization that will strengthen management, accountability, credibility, and a public image both nationally and internationally.
- Foster all kinds of cooperation with local, regional, national international institutions in order to help reach educational goals.
The objectives of the program are formulated on the basis of the threefold mission of the Magister Program in ELT and its cooperation with other institutions.
- To make public access to the S2 program easier and more practical by using online applications for admission, entrance selection tests, registration and other relevant academic as well as administrative affairs.
- To conduct teaching and learning activities more independently in order to develop students’ autonomy and to develop their ELT knowledge, competence and skills, as shown by the following achievements:
- The mastery of English skills equal to an ITP score of 550 to conduct teaching and learning in English.
- The ability to critically master and develop theories, design, and methods of ELT through innovative studies.
- The application of ICT (Information and Communication Technology) in the teaching and learning process.
- The ability to conduct innovative assessment systems in ELT
- The mastery of curriculum and syllabus development and other supporting documents for ELT of all levels.
- To control students’ thesis topics to ensure their relevance to ELT issues, and to ensure that the topics contribute to the development of ELT practices, theories, and other ELT- related problems.
- To conduct a very intensive advisory program for the students, starting from research methodology courses, research proposal writing, advisory conferences, thesis writing seminars, data collection and report writing.
- To disseminate current policies and solve ELT-related problems for teachers at all school levels.
- To conduct seminars and workshops for lecturers and teachers of other institutions.
- To offer special classes for inservice teachers who seek further education for professional development.
- To foster cooperation with sponsors from local, regional, national and international institutions to give financial and program support to help produce more qualified S2 graduates.
In reference to the national competence framework 2012, the graduates of the Magister Program (S2) in ELT are professional English lecturers at the undergraduate level, or are teachers in high schools or at lower levels, either in the formal or non formal education program, having an English competence at least equal to ITP TOEFL score 550. They are also researchers, experts, and practitioners in ELT who are capable of developing syllabi, materials, and assessment, and who are skillful in employing innovative methods of teaching in undergraduate education and/or lower education either in formal or non formal education programs.
In line with the graduate profile, the competencies of the S2 graduates are classified into three competencies: main, the supporting, and other competencies.
- The knowledge and skills to develop ELT professional practices for undergraduate and lower education levels through research, either in formal or non formal education programs to produce innovative work, as indicated by the following behavioral performance:
- Developing ELT materials for the formal and non formal education
- Identifying learners’ characteristics to choose suitable teaching approaches
- Managing teaching and learning activities effectively and efficiently to develop learners’ learning skills
- The abilty to solve ELT-related problems through interdisciplinary and/or multidisciplinary approaches as shown by the following indicators.
- Conducting research and development to solve teaching and learning problems.
- Implementing effective and efficient teaching practices to develop learning skills
- Choosing suitable solution for ELT problems and sharing with the community through seminars, workshops, and discussion to contribute to the development of knowledge and the betterment of the practices.
- The ability to conduct research and development which is useful for society, and to make significant contributions to scientific advancement which are recognized nationally and internationally, as indicated by the following performance measures:
- Managing and conducting research to solve ELT-related problems professionally
- Disseminating research results in the socio-institutional context to be recognized nationally and/or internationally in the form of a seminar or publications of research articles in accredited national journals.
- Being adequately ICT literate in order to conduct ICT-Based teaching and learning processes as shown by the following indicators.
- Integrating ICT in the teaching and learning process
- Employing multimedia literacy in the teaching of English skills by combining print and non print (digital) materials in the learning process.
- Having language-related knowledge which is relevant to or as a result of students’ main competencies and supporting competencies, such as theories of language, especially English literature for teenagers and adult learners in the forms of classic and modern prose, drama, and poetry.
- The ability to understand English literary works and to make use of such works as teaching materials and/or classroom language activities.
Based on these target competencies, subject matter courses are prepared and structured in a distribution of courses in the form of a semester program. All of the compulsory and elective courses are designed in a two-semester program so that the third semester can be used to prepare the students for their final project (thesis writing). Thus, by design, the curriculum structure makes it possible for the students to finish their study in three semesters.
Registration procedure, schedule, and selection system of new students for study program Sarjana (B.A.) in English Language Teaching is conducted through selection system held by Universitas Negeri Malang.
For more information, contact us in: